Sunday, October 31, 2010

The first boy I ever loved...

Max-a-million came into my life when I was 15 years old, born January 2, 2000. I had dreamed of a having a great dane for a long time and when I went to pick him out he was the first one I laid my eyes. "Tear Drop Two" was what they referred to him as...because of the tear drop spot on his head. Out of the bunch, he was the one puppy who was not too hyper and not too lazy....just perfect! He stole my heart at that moment and I knew he was my MAXI! 
His puppy years were full of excitement...we was playful, a bit of a prankster...but always a love!
Even as he grew and grew he loved small spaces and the couch was a fav...
Here he was just brand new! 
cuddling was the best...he slept with me in my bed until his paws started smacking me in the face. 
Here he is napping with Amy. 

His love for stuffed bears stuck with him his whole life too. He would never rip them...just hold them in his mouth for a long time =) 

Leaning was one of his best tricks =) 
At his lanky stage..his feet were bigger than his thoughts and it got him into lots of trouble!  A few noteworthy moments of his youngster days include: 
  • Jumping on Uncle Bob from behind to knock him to the ground, oops =/..(Robbie, Amy's little friend Ryan and many others didn't fair too well with this approach either =)
  • Peeing on Auntie Sue while she was relaxing with Grandma June on the porch.
  • Once  I had the brilliant idea to hook his leash around my waist while giving him a bath...Lucy began to chase a rabbit "NO, Max don't do it, NO"....but Max took off!! I unwillingly had to follow, being drug down the hill!!
  • A favorite trick of his was to gently pull off flower petals with his front teeth, Mom didn't like that trick =) 
  • He would like to greet you with a friendly crotch shot with his nose...it would get your attention for sure. " HELLO Max!!?@"
 Running to the mailbox with Grandma June was the best afternoon treat! 
The leash, Max and I....the trio with our graceful moves =) 
As he grew his loppy fun-filled approach to life never left him..but he also was gentle, smart and just my best friend. 

A few of his favorite things: 
  • He loved to drink from the water hose. Kar loved to play with the hose...a good team! 
  • He loved the vet... and they loved seeing him. 
  • He loved going for a car ride. My little red honda was his fav. (small space, he will fit) 
  • He loved to eat anything and everything...swallowing bones whole (we had to give up on giving him bones long ago)
  • He loved towel time after a bath! 
  • He loved when Uncle Will would visit, they would go for rides, and sit with coffee! 
  • He loved to poke his Pilot girl in the back of the neck
  • He loved to bring a toy with him to his food bowl. 
  • He loved to join in with the howl from the coyotes...he was a good singer, not like his owner! 

And would never turn down a short walk... go for a long walk and he would lay down in the middle of it, or just stop....when a dane is done, he's done =) 
He was all I ever wanted in a dog and never asked for anything more. 

Max would listen to all my worries and knew just what I needed when I was down. 
just to rest his head on my lap would take away all my troubles.
He understood.
We had so many fun times together. 


He liked to play and wrestle and poke. 

He liked to lay and think 

He was beautiful. 


Chasing bees was a favorite past time too! 

I loved everything about this boy...the sound of him eating...


his tear drop head....

his bigger than life hugs...

His cold wet nose...

As he got sick, in the last few weeks of his life... Pilot, his girl, never left his side. 

he would take a seat on my lap because sitting all the way down was a bit rough. 

we got to cry together and hold each other, because we both knew what was coming. 

Max passed away on Tuesday September 14, he went in his sleep and was in his bed. My heart hurts and there's a piece of me missing. It's taken awhile for me to create and write this post because I takes so much out of me. I don't know if I will ever have a great dane again, time will tell,  it will never be my Max but I am so thankful he was in my life for so long...
 I keep looking for him in the yard, waiting to hear his bark and I still haven't moved his bowl. Even though he lived a long beautiful life, I would still wish for one more day.
 I have found a tree that I am going to plant in his memory, the memory of my strong beautiful boy. It's a blue-gum eucalyptus, which is apparently hard to find...but I will find it for my Max! 
Here's to your beautiful life my Maxi...to the laughs, the talks, and the walks....I will miss you my gentle giant, you were the first boy I ever loved. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to return later to leave a comment because sobbing is an understatment! Man these dogs grab our hearts and take pieces of them when they leave this earth. Beautiful tribute to Max, he was such a gentle spirit, loved by all who met him.

Love you Katie!

Lee said...

I am with Micah... definately had to put myself back together before I could comment on this one! You and Max were a team we all loved to watch grow into a true love!!! We were all so glad he was part of our lives for so many fun filled years! He will FOREVER live in our hearts!!! Love the memories you left us with Maxi Boy... now enjoy your time with Grandpa and Grandma and we look forward to seeing you again in heaven! LOVE YOU BOY!!! And love you too Kate =)

The 4 Aguas! said...

Okay, I shouldn't have looked at your blog tonight. I figured you hadn't had time to post because you are swamped like me, BUT I was surprised. You gave Maxie-Mo such a beautiful tribute. It looks like I wasn't the only one who needed a good cry. That post must have been cathartic. I love you!